History of Gormanston
Gormanston lies 6km south of Laytown on the north bank of the Delvin River which forms the boundary between Counties Meath and Dublin. Gormanston Castle, located near the village, was formerly the seat of the Preston family. Sir Jenico Preston, 12th Viscount Gormanstown built it in 1786, on the site of a castle erected in 1372.
A legend attached to the family has it that when the head of the family is dying, foxes collect at the door of the castle. Appropriately, there is a fox in the family crest. The castle is now aboarding school owned by the Franciscan Order.
City North Hotel