Meath Archaeological and Historical Society
The Meath Archaeological and Historical Society (MAHS) was first formed in 1937. The object of the society, then as now, was to preserve, examine, publish and illustrate the antiquities, records and traditions connected with the area. Their field of work was the ancient kingdom of Meath, which roughly corresponds now to the area covered by the modern Roman Catholic Diocese of Meath.
The society lapsed for a time during the years of the Second World War when paper and petrol shortages made it impossible to travel, correspond and publish.
The society reformed then and began to publish its annual journal; Ríocht na Midhe, in 1955. Currently, an up to date index is being prepared for the journal and will be issued shortly.
The contents of Ríocht na Midhe are accessible through the Meath County Library online catalogue at http://library.meath.ie/ and the journals themselves can be viewed in the local studies section of Meath County Library.
The MAHS event list, Ríocht na Midhe contents and much more can be viewed on the society’s website http://mahs.ie/