End-of-life vehicles (ELV) Directive
Are you getting rid of your old car?
You have an old car. It is clapped out and you want to get rid of it. So what do you do?
Firstly, you need to know about new regulations, which came into effect for all end-of-life cars from 1 January 2007. The Regulations introduce an EU Directive aimed at ensuring that old cars are depolluted and dismantled in a manner that doesn’t pose a threat to our environment or to human health.
The regulations place obligations on the producers (that is to say vehicle manufacturers/importers), dismantlers/vehicle scrap facilities and you the car owner.
In future, facilities dealing with end-of-life vehicles must meet stringent new environmental standards for the collection, storage and treatment of end-of-life vehicles. These facilities are known as authorised treatment facilities (ATF’s).
You should bring your old car to an authorised treatment facility (ATF) which will issue you with a Certificate of Destruction which will confirm that the vehicle is being depolluted and dismantled in an environmentally safe manner.
The facility will then notify the Vehicle Registration Unit of the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government in Shannon, Co. Clare and the destruction of your vehicle will be noted in the records of the National Vehicle File. The only document you need to give the facility is the Vehicle Registration Certificate (RF101) or the log book for the car.
All intact end-of-life vehicles must be accepted from the owner of the vehicle free of charge. You should only deal with a properly permitted authorised treatment facility when getting rid of your old vehicle as these are the only ones that can issue Certificates of Destruction.
Currently the authorised treatment facilities (ATF’s) and their locations for County Meath are as follows:
- Oristown Auto Recyclers Ltd, Oristown, Kells, Co Meath, Tel: 046 9240165
- TD Caldwell & Sons Ltd., Raneevogue, Crossakiel, Kells, Co Meath, Tel: 046 9243919
- Maynooth Car Dismantlers, Killeaney, Maynooth, Co Meath, Tel: 01 6285339
- A&B Recyclers, Boolies Little, Duleek, Co. Meath, Tel: 041 982 3587
- Diamond Car Parts, Unit 22 Ashbourne Industrial Estate, Ballybin Road, Ashbourne, Tel: 087-138-7274
- N2 Auto Salvage Limited, Bullstown, The Wotton, Ashbourne, Co Meath. Tel: 086-2555625